Suggested Projects (more will be added)
1. Smart Pill Container and Smart Watch for the elderly.
Smart pill container should:
- Contain all the drugs needed.
- Have a digital display that displays the name of the drug, prescription dosage for the drug, color of the drug, time and date of that day, sounds an alarm to inform the patient of an upcoming dosage, expiration date of the medicine, doctor’s appointments, amount of drugs left before and after the patient has taken the medicine etc….
- Be portable and moderate in size
Smart Watch should:
- Have a pulse sensor on the strap of the watch.
- Have a heart rate monitoring sensor also included on the strap.(An example of this technology is that used by the Apple IPod and Nike).
- Other innovative ideas could include having a Bluetooth connection to a cell phone, such that once an abnormality is detected, a message is sent to the cell phone which then dials 911. The cell phone could have a pre recorded message about the patient and his/her address.
2. The Smart Soccer Ball
In soccer today, governing bodies have ruled out video replay, as they believe it slows down and disrupts the game. One of the common problems with no video replay is that defenders sometimes kick out the ball from the goal net before it is officially considered a goal. Officials need to know that the ball crossed the goal line before they can declare it a goal.
Our goal is to help the officials make the right decisions.
Mount sensors on a soccer ball that detect the white line.
3. The Height detector
The Height detector should:
- Detect the height of an object (preferably a human being).
- Make use of a heat detector/sensor to determine the height of the object.
The height detector should be designed to detect the heat from an object and increment the vertical height by inches. Once there is a change in the heat detected, the height counter should stop incrementing. The detector should make use of high precision heat and proximity sensors.
Hardware: Heat sensors, Microcontrollers, etc
Software: Assembly language
Ideas: Charles Onocha
4. Test Radio transmitter and Receiver
Build a test radio transmitter and receiver to transmit and receive signals. The goal of this project is to help the students appreciate the technology involved in cell phones and radios. Transmitter should accept signals in the low frequency range, modulate the signal and transmit them. The receiver should be able to demodulate the signals.
5. Home Security System
Build a home security system that calls your cell phone once an alarm is triggered. The circuit can be wired to the home, a window, a switch or a panic button.
6. Model a Car Crash test Simulation
The project involves modeling car crash scenarios using toy cars.
- The project should model crashes between a moving car and a stationary car and between 2 moving cars.
- The results should include the weights of the cars, the speed of the cars, the pressure exerted by the cars.
- Using these results, the project (microcontroller) must accept different weights, speeds and calculate the pressure exerted on the cars in various situations.
- Students should also do research on the dangers attributed to varying levels of pressure exerted on a car and display the level of danger (on a scale of 1-10) using their intuition.
7. Home Energy Saver
Design a model to dim the lights in a home. This would serve as an energy saver. The lights should be dimmed based on the following conditions:
- The sunlight entering the house is sufficient to light up the house.
- There is no motion in the house after a couple of minutes.
The designer could add various ideas to the conditions that would serve as an energy saver.
8. Water Saver in Homes
Design a model to save water and limit the cost of water bills. The model should address:
- Measure the volume of water coming from either a shower head or a tap.
- Also, measure the temperature of the water coming from the water source.
- Inform the user when he goes above a certain limit.
9. Curb Climbing Wheelchair
Design a prototype wheelchair that can elevate the wheelchair and its occupant up a single step with minimal effort from the occupant.
10. User friendly Software for Medical Diagnosis
Software that provides a user friendly explanation of common diseases and their symptoms and ways to prevent those (It has to be have something unique in it to attract the attention of viewers say for instance a talkative genie explaining).